Sunday, July 24, 2011

Juxtaposition

I was watching the news last week and the opening story was about the famine in Somalia. The story was tragic and moving ... families who had not eaten in days going to refugee camps to get small rations of rice. Children dying on the journey. It was awful.And the very next story was about the NFL lock out and how owners and players were working on a agreement over how to divvy up the millions of dollars taken in every season and Bryan Williams cheerfully stated something to the effect that "I know many of us fans really want our football."

Really? I know the situation in Somalia is far more complicated than a drought causing famine and no one helping, but it gave me a start. How quickly we can jump from dire concern to “Wow, I sure I hope my fall leisure activities are not upset by multi-millionaires disagreeing over how to split the proceeds of the way we invest our discretionary income!”

Lord, please give me eyes that see, ears that hear, hands that serve and a heart willing to respond to your call!

No comments:

Post a Comment